Tuesday, April 19, 2005

A Quick Note

My sister Abby had surgery yesterday. After hours of cutting and sewing as well as an epidural and some gas when the shot wore off, my sister is now resting in her own room at a New York hospital. It's scary when you think about it. We've come so far in the medical profession, but there was still a possibility that something could have gone wrong. I'm glad that she's ok, and I wish her a speedy recovery. Thanks to the doctor who worked on her.
This made me think alot about life. See, I live by the John Glenn principle. Think about this: John Glenn put himself inside of a tin can of gasoline (more or less) and shot himself into space. He circled the Earth and then, miraculously, he managed to return to Earth unscratched. He received a hero's welcome as was befit a man who had done something so dangerous. Now, so many people had given him little chance of surviving and told him not to even try something so radically dangerous. Glenn defied them, and he survived. The next day, after his heroic return, Glenn went into his bathroom, turned on the shower, and slipped. He hurt his back so badly that he was laid up for months.
So what's the point? Glenn survived the extreme and was almost done in by the mundane of everyday life. You have to live life and not be afraid just because it might be crazy. You never know when a brick may fall and hit you in the head. You might live for a few more decades, or you might get hit by a bus tomorrow. Don't be afraid to live your life, because who knows what you have left.
As for my sole (I think) reader out there, I will post on the reunion tomorrow.
Good health to you all.

No comments: