Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Ding-Dong....Students Calling.

As I have mentioned numerous times, I am a teacher. Usually English, but sometimes I cover for Math or Social Studies. On one occasion I even covered a Chemistry class (very odd). As a teacher, I come in contact with a great many different personalities. With some of the students, I immediately click. With others, however, it's like pulling teeth. While it sounds odd, the teacher/student dynamic mirrors a typical relationship. Sometimes people hit it off right away and stay close to each other. Sometimes the relationship starts well, but over time the facades crumble, and the two people don't like what they see. Sometimes the two people are destined to never like each other. It plays out differently depending upon the people.
When it comes to the students I work with, I follow a very simple principle that many of my teachers and colleagues have passed on to me: It's important to be likeable, but don't bend over backwards to be liked. I have, unfortunately, seen teachers who do not understand this principle. One woman in particular actually canceled a test when the students said, "If you give us this test, we won't like you anymore." That's unfortunate when you give the students that much power.
I like alot of the students I work with. I cannot, off hand, think of a student that I dislike. Every single one of them has great qualities. Sure , they can be annoying at times, or even childish, but they are still in high school. It's unfortunate for them that they are in the most difficult time of their lives. They are expected to be adults without having the actual power and standing of an adult. But I digress....
When I was student teaching, I knew there would be a few students who would enjoy having me as a teacher. Every textbook, every teacher, and every colleague said this would happen. Some students will like having you as a teacher and will seek you out for counseling, or conversation, or whatever. However, they also mentioned that some students, regardless of how much they like you, will attempt to pull a prank on you. Now, you have to understand: I live about a half an hour away from the school where I was working. I figured that I would be safe because of that. I was wrong.
One fateful night, while the school was on a short break, I was visited by two of my students. The names are not important, but their actions are. I have to tell you that the story I am about to tell you is true. Even as I think about it, it sounds far-fetched, but having witnessed this, I can assure you it's true. I also have neighbors that will attest to the fact that this happened.
Late one night, two students felt that they would fork my lawn. How this idea came about is not really important. What is important is that they drove all the way to Robbinsdale from St. Paul (getting lost several times and driving the wrong way down a one way street to boot). Thinking that I would be asleep (which I wasn't), the students approached my house trying to make sure that it was, in fact, the right one. I was in my kitchen when I caught sight of them. Luckily the placement of my outdoor light blocks anyone from seeing what's happening in my kitchen but allows me to see them. So I took a seat at my kitchen table and watched the action ensue.
Having figured out that this was the right house, the students retreated to the car they had come in to get the forks. Unfortunately, one of them had the desperate need to pee (this is probably because they thought they would be done sooner). With no bathroom available, this student peed on the curb. At the same time, my neighbors across the street were becoming suspicious of the car parked out front. As the students descended on to my lawn and began planting the forks, my neighbors did what they thought was best. Rather than call me, they phoned the police.
At this point I am still sitting in the kitchen, while my wife is fast asleep. Right as I was about to go and scare my students, a cop pulls up. Now, if a cop pulled up and you were doing something wrong, what would you do? Maybe stop and explain? Well, these two ran for the car and drove off. The cop, probably in shock, pulled them over and grilled them. You see, these two were out after curfew, which upsets most cops. They pleaded their case with him and explained what they were doing. I can only imagine what he was thinking:
"Are you kidding me? This has got to be worst thing I have ever heard. I can't laugh at them, because it would look bad, but this is really funny. Stupid kids. I hope my teen doesn't act like this."
So, minutes later, as I was about to ascend to my bedroom, I see a spotlight shine through the windows of my house. This kind of spotlight is no stranger to me: It was obviously a police light. I returned to the kitchen window, ducking a little so I wouldn't be seen, to watch what was happening. My wife, who heard all the noise outside, came down and watched with me. As the officer looked on, the two students were patrolling my lawn and picking up the forks. I could tell from the light, that both of them were really embarassed, and they wondered or worried that this incident would be passed on to their parents. When they were finished, they left.
The next morning, I went out to survey my lawn. A few forks had been missed, but that was ok. my neighbors flocked to my lawn when they saw me and started asking me questions. I answered as best I could. When my neighbor told me that he had called the cops, I asked him why he didn't call me first. "I don't know. I guess I didn't think, just reacted." I makes sense, I just wish I could have scared the hell out of those two students. It wouldn't have been hard either.
The aftermath of this story is a great deal of fun as well. The two students were mortified when I thanked them (not by name) for aerating my lawn. After I finished saying it, there were two VERY red faces. They gave me the forks, which I, in turn, gave to the faculty lounge. The dirty ones were pitched, while the clean ones are still being used to this day. Every time someone takes a fork from the bag, I laugh.
You have to understand, I wasn't mortified by what these students were doing. I thought it was funny and showed that they actually liked me. They had to look up where I live, plan the prank, and then carry it out. That's alot of work for just a student teacher. They could have done this to one of their other teachers that lived near them, but they instead chose me. I have to admit I was flattered.
I still try to be friendly with those two students as well as many others. The dynamic between us has changed. I believe those two students have outgrown me and may be embarrassed by the fact that they went to such lengths for just me. I have not had a visitor since that day. Students have, however, called me at home. Most recently, they called me to let me know about a department party. They called me from the party and were upset that I wasn't there, but no one had told me about it, and I was out.
I look forward to developing a good teacher/student relationship with many students for years to come. I know there will be students that hate me, but I'll cross that bridge when I get there.
And to the two students who showed up at my home late one night: thanks.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

ok. i just want to say that it was hysterical! not at all mortifying. and p.s. i have not "outgrown" you, you have simply grown tired of me.

Ironic said...

To paraphrase: me thinks the student doth protest too much.

Anonymous said...

hey, not a problem, i'm glad we did it, driving the wrong way on the one way was SCARY, but hey, i'm still alive.

it was really funny, i laughed while reading the story.

last time i EVER drive a gray car in your neighborhood.

and....i would like to clarify that it was NOT me who peed on the lawn.

p.s. i might have to agress w/ annonymous