Thursday, June 23, 2005

I'm not Mr. Right (Now)

Tomorrow morning, I take off for Boston. This time, however, I'm going with my wife. Will that mean that the flight should go better? No, but at least I have someone to vent with and to when all goes wrong. I can already see it:
The plane will be late
There will be no food
and at best, Satan himself will sit next to me and bitch about how cold it is on the plane.
Oy!
On to stranger things: being hit on by a fellow grad student. Ok, I've mentioned before that I've had high school students tell me they love me, or ask me to prom, or just tell me they have a crush on me. That's no big deal. However, today I was hit on by a fellow grad student. A woman my own age to boot.
I have been married for four and a half years to the same wonderful woman. Honestly, for the last five years, she's the only woman I think about, and she's the only woman who's ever really shown interest in me. That's why today was so strange. I am fully aware of the "signs" of interest a person puts out when they are interested.
This gal (we'll call her Coach as she is a hockey coach as well) sat next to me in class. If you remember your "signs of interest", she hit a few of them. For example:
Eye contact: every time we talked to each other, she made sure to make eye contact. No matter where I looked, she was maintaining eye contact.
Touch: I said stuff that really wasn't funny. (I made a joke along the lines of "save a tree, don't read.") Yet, she laughed and would grab my hand or my leg. It was very odd.
Requests: Once class ended, I started for the door. Coach caught up to me, interrupted my conversation, and asked me if I would mind walking her to her car. I didn't mind, because I could talk to her about the classes I am teaching this summer. However, she totally dominated the conversation to talk about her interests, the fact that she was single, the fact that we shared a love of Hockey, etc. We talked about everything but what I thought we would talk about. The clincher was that she asked me out for a drink this upcoming weekend. "So we could talk about class and stuff." When I explained that I was going to Boston, "with my wife," she turned red. I felt really bad, because I knew at that point that my hunch was right.
You see, I'm a guy. When it comes to signals and stuff, guys are...well...DUMB! Men cannot really pick up on signals, so the fact that I was right about what was going on made me feel really mean, because she must have been doing everything but holding up a sign that said, "I like you!"
This made me think about the current world of dating. With all of the dating services and chat rooms and stuff, it must be really hard to make human contact for dating. I know a single teacher who put himself on
eharmony and has not received a single hit. Another female teacher I know says that dating is impossible in the modern era. "No one wants to really go out to meet people," she told me, "They prefer to sit in their undies and chat online." She also told me she missed college, because that was the best time to meet people.
I can't really say if it was or not. I have only ever been on two real "dates" as it were. Those I want to talk about another time, because they might as well have been done by the
Keystone Cops. Other than those two dates, however, I haven't really dated, just gotten involved with someone and then had a relationship. I don't know if that makes sense or not, but I was married right out of college, so I don't think (unless some sort of act of God makes it so) I will be single again.
So I want to say to Coach (who will probably never read this) that I'm sorry if I embarrassed you. I didn't mean to, and I was really sure you saw the ring. I also hope that you meet some fantastic guy who's totally into you.
And if you're a single guy or gal out there, don't fret. Hey, I managed to get married. I know my wife lowered herself (and she does too!) so anyone can find the right person. Don't give up.
Ok, I won't be able to post again until Monday as I am heading to Boston. Have a great weekend all.

4 comments:

Voix said...

Man, I wish I had your problems. Hope the Boston trip was a success.

Ironic said...

Sure, sure. Whatever you say Meridita....It's completely different. You said chuckle. I'm talking about a throaty laugh followed by the grabbing of my hand.
As for Michele, umm sorry. I may be a cynic, but I like where I am in life. I'll try to give you my problems if it makes you feel better.
Off I go...

Voix said...

Don't get me wrong - I'm not bitter, but I think I've been the desperate flirty girl a time or two before and it would be nice to see what it's like on the other side of the fence. I think it is fabulous that you're glad to be married and compassionate enough to worry about whether or not you embarassed the flirty girl. Go you!

000 said...

ha...this is funny...and sad