Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Delayed

I finally have been able to catch my breath after the last few days and write something. It's funny, but after making light of everything my wife went through to get to Ireland, both of us had horrible return trips to MSP. Honestly, I don't know how these things keep happening to me. Anyway, the stories told in this post are true (unfortunately). We'll start with what happened to my wife, as it is shorter and more hopeful.
Her flight from Ireland was fine. She and her mother landed in Philadelphia with no problems. However, once in there, all hell broke loose for both of them. Her mother's flight was canceled. So she would have find another way to Kansas City. The problem was that the airline wasn't sure they could get her on a flight until the next day. They also wouldn't pay for a hotel (which to me is kind of nasty move). So Caroline has to decide if she is going to get on her plane or wait with her mother (she doesn't want to leave her alone). Well, luckily (or unluckily depending on your point of view) her flight gets delayed, so she can wait and see if her mother is leaving. Three hours later, they're both off to their respective cities. However, both got in extremely late, and both of them had their luggage lost. That's right, no bags.
As bad as that is, however, I think my experience was worse. The flight to the East Coast wasn't really a problem. Yes, we were delayed by an hour (thanks, Mr. President) due to Bush's visit to Minnesota, but the real problem was the flight back. Originally, I was supposed to take the morning flight to MSP, but I changed to go later in order to fix things around my parents' home (leaky toilet, broken front door, etc). It turned out it wouldn't matter, because that flight was canceled and everyone was put on my new flight. So, with a 5:30 PM flight, I departed for the airport to give myself time. Unfortunately, I would have a great deal of time.
After being dropped off, I had an hour until the flight was supposed to go. The monitors, however, said the flight was delayed. Fine, that meant I had more time to get through the very long line at security. Well, after a half an hour in the line, it was finally my turn to go through, and it was at that moment that two little league baseball teams showed up. Why do I mention this? Because they were rushed through my line, and I was forced to wait (oh so close) as they went through one by one. Again, not happy, but I had time.
Now through security and at the gate, we learn that the plane has been delayed for three hours. If you've never been to
Bradley Airport, it's the kind of place where everything (including the bars) shut down at 6 PM. By the time I got through the security check, got to the gate, and finished talking to the gate agent after being called up, everything was shut down, which meant no dinner. Now everyone who was supposed to be on my flight was jumping ship to other flights or airlines to make connections. We were getting so low on passengers, that they considered canceling the flight all together. However, they told everyone that if the flight was canceled, they would not have to pay for dinner or hotels, because "This is due to an act of God, and we are not responsible for it." That's a great way to keep customers.
Can it get worse? Sure can, folks! As I sat reading and waiting for the plane, a couple of fishermen, who were also on my flight, started comparing rods and reels. They pulled them out and showed them to a kid sitting near them. Well, one of them had a hook (which I would have thought was illegal, because it's sharp and pointy), and he was dangling it around. I shifted and was caught by the hook. It dug right into my shirt, and when pulled back (not realizing it was in there) he tore my shirt a big new hole. I really liked that shirt. Did he apologize? Sure. Did he offer me anything else, even a drink? Not on your life.
Finally, at 8 PM, we board the plane and leave. It's mostly empty, so everyone gets a good seat. The problem is that with such a fast turnaround, they forgot to load on drinks and food for purchase. They have nothing.
During the flight, it was your typical audience. The loud guys in the back swapping stories, the family traveling together, the couple who got engaged, etc. The problem is that I sat behind the family who argued for the entire flight. I have never heard people argue over something so petty as shoelaces, but there were the two kids arguing over the older one's shoelaces.
Approaching for landing, the front of the plane was suddenly full. Everyone with connecting flights was moving forward. Returning from the bathroom, I suddenly had a woman sitting in my row. That was fine, but she talked for 35 minutes straight. I learned about Grand Forks, about her childhood, her kids, her husband, why her legs hurt, etc. I was reading, and I never looked over, but she kept going! When we landed, she panicked, and so before the plane was even truly stopped, I was in the aisle, and she was rushing to the door.
The worst part is that when I got home I realized that I had left my textbook on the plane. The combination of fatigue, hunger, and annoyance meant that I was unobservant when I disembarked from the Airbus (what an apt name that is nowadays). So, I called Northwest, and we'll see if they can find it.
I like traveling. I really do, but I really am starting to hate flying. Of all the forms of traveling in all the places I've been, the best has honestly been on the train in Europe. It was comfortable, it was clean, and it was friendly. The airlines are no longer like that. At least not in Minnesota. I'll give an update if my book is ever found.

No comments: