Friday, June 02, 2006

End of the School Year (2005-2006) II

Today was the Senior Goodbye. Basically, the next two weeks of school will be done sans the Class of 2006.
I admit...I will miss many of them.
The assembly, which (like every year) ran way too long, was quite upsetting to many (students and teachers). I actually smiled a little as I watched some of my colleagues wipe away tears.
Hugs abound as we all said goodbye.
I really wanted to give some "words of wisdom" to the seniors, but I discovered that our words had to be cleared by the administration ahead of time.
Upon hearing this from one of the APs, my first response was, "Dammit."
My second, however, was, "Wait...why do we have to clear it with YOU? Shouldn't you trust us at this point?"
So, because I was unable to do it at the assembly, I now present: Leab's Words of Wisdom to The Class of 2006. This is how it would have went, word for word.

To my lovely Seniors.
I have some advice that just may come in handy in the future.
I see people here who could be running the world one day.
Let me just give you some easy rules to follow for the years that are to come.
1. Do not ever punch Mickey Mouse. It has serious consequences. I know of what I speak.
2. When all else fails: beg, borrow, and steal.
3. Should you find yourself arguing with a painting of Vincent Van Gogh, stop what you are doing. Something is terribly wrong.
All right, in all seriousness, here is the real advice I recommend you follow.
1. Think before you speak. Speak before you act. Think before you act.
2. Remember that you have a wealth of knowledge and guidance here (at the school) whenever you need it. We don't say, "Oh, that class is DEAD to us now," after you leave. You need help, just ask us.
3. Same as before. If you're arguing with a painting, something is wrong.
In closing I would like to paraphrase Ralph Waldo Emerson:
"The reasonable person attempts to adapt him- or herself to the world.
The unreasonable person attempts to adapt the world to him- or herself.
Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable person."
Be that person. Question what is happening. Seek answers. Solve the problems. Make the difference and the changes. Help facilitate progress.
That is my request and my advice to you.
Good luck.
Namaste.

Good luck to you, Class of 2006. May your journey be only beginning.
Namaste.

3 comments:

Admin Worm said...

Leab, may I offer some advice from a nearly 40-year old person who is just now attending college and figuring out what he wants to do with his life?

I'd like to suggest (perhaps even plead) that graduating seniors take some time alone to be truly introspective before jumping into college/career.

Please don't declare a particular major because that's what dad has always envisioned for you...don't pursue a particular career path because you think it's the quickest way to a houseful of electronic toys and a garage-full of blinged out SUVs...

I've seen people who have done this and they're not happy.

Find your passions, recognize your strenths and see how you can combine the two into a career that will be fulfilling. Something that makes you want to get out of bed in the morning. Something that leaves a legacy.

If just a few graduating seniors each year were to follow that path, maybe we can turn this world around after all.

Good luck.

Anonymous said...

You needed this:

Education is not preparation for life, education is life itself.
--John Dewey

Voix said...

Nice words, Leab. You've got the compassion and tenacity to be a wonderful teacher. Glad to see your missive to the children.