Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Hockey and Me (A Love Story) Part I: Before Wild

Ok, I finally can sit down and write about this.
I have been a fan of Hockey for as long as I can remember. While the game is great to watch on television, you cannot really get the feel for it unless you go (or unless you play, but for all intents and purposes, it's easier to talk about watching it).
The first time I ever went to a game was in 1987. I went and saw the New York Rangers play the New York Islanders. I was aware of the rivalry between the two, and I understood the chants that Islander and Ranger fans are known for at the games ("Potvin sucks!", etc). I never realized how fast the game could really go until I watched the pros in person. These men were able to FLY.
I went to the game with my father (who would go one other game with me and complain both times). He hated it and ended up talking to the guys in the press box for most of the game. I just remember how fast they all moved. A few years later, I would return to Madison Square Garden to see the 1994 All-Star Game. That was an amazing experience. Again, it was the two Leab boys, and, once again, we sat up by the reporters. At one point, Harvey the Hound (the Calgary Flames mascot) was walking around by the press. They got annoyed and started flicking pens and pencils at him to go away. I remember that Mike Richter was amazing in that game, and he shutout the West All-Stars (formerly of the Campbell Conference). At the time, I didn't realize that the players don't really go at full speed, because it's essentially an exhibition game. Several members of the Rangers (Mark Messier and Brian Leetch) played very well and were active in scoring.
Fast forward a few years. In college, I was able to see the St. Louis Blues. A few of us students and faculty members decided to take in a game. We secured nine club level seats at the then Kiel Center (now Saavis Center) to see the Blues take on the Rangers. The great part about the club section was that people came to you for food and drink orders. You didn't have to anywhere. Thus, with little movement, we ended up getting very drunk.
I, of course, cheered for the Rangers, much to the chagrin of the people with me who were Blues fans. At one point, the Rangers went up two goals, and another Ranger fan (who I didn't know) and I were celebrating. We were soon pelted with popcorn, peanuts, and ice. We still cheered and hollered, even though very large Blues fans were threatening us. The Rangers won the game by three goals, but what was more interesing was what happened among the fans. First, the break between the second and third periods had to be extended when a Blues fan and a Rangers fan ended up brawling in the aisle. Both ended up with bloody noses, and everyone cheered rather than stop them. Second, toward the end of the game, the faculty member who came with us ended up feeling my girlfriend's (now wife) breast. It was odd. He said he was reaching for me, but he put his arm around her, his hand dropped, and he grabbed her breast. There was a huge reaction from both of them. She was upset, and he laughed, though he claimed it was because he was embarrassed. As we walked out of the arena, she ended up tripping him and claiming it was an accident. I had to walk in between them to the light rail.
Tomorrow, I will discuss part two, Hockey in the Wild era.

No comments: