Friday, May 27, 2005

Rainy Day Blues

I'm having an off day. I know, we can't always be at our best everyday, but today was one of those days where I didn't have the answers, I was stumbling over myself, and I just didn't have my head in my body.
Warning: the author is tired and frustrated right now, so he's essentially whiny. He apologizes for being annoying but hopes his reader(s) will understand.
First and foremost, I need a day without rain. We've had gray (or grey depending on your feelings) skies for days. Yesterday started out promising, but by the time I started to leave the school building, it was pouring. I need some sunshine this upcoming weekend, or I might go crazy. Granted I also need the sunshine so I can paint my house.
The second issue stems from fellow faculty members. I have been at this school for ten months (since August), and I get along with almost all the faculty members (as seen in a previous
post). However, ever since I started at this school, there has been one teacher who has never used my name. Over the course of ten months, she would call me "Student Teacher Guy," or, "hey buddy." (which is a pet peeve of mine to act all chummy with someone whose name you don't know.) Today, however, she actually called me by my name today. It was shocking. She said, "Hello Mr. Leab." Oh, but it didn't stop there (and this is where the trouble starts). No, she decided that we were such good friends (nope) that she called me Leabster, Leabarooney, and even Leabbie. Somehow this teacher turned into Todd the Copier Guy from Saturday Night Live (the Rob Schneider character). She and I do not know each other at ALL, yet she talks to me like we grew up in the same neighborhood. When I asked her to stop, (because we do not know each other) she got defensive and the next thing I know, I have students chastising me for hurting her feelings. One student went so far as to say that she thought I was a nice guy, but now she's glad she won't see me anymore. Still, as my favorite Grad School teacher told me, "it's more important to be likeable than liked."
This same teacher led to another problem today. She decided to grab another teacher and come into my room while the class was watching a video on the Civil Rights Era. I allowed two students who were not in the class to sit in and talk with me, because one of them felt she needed to chat with me. This teacher decided to make a whole big scene about the "Leabites", and started asking me out loud about what I do to get everyone to like me. This is so inappropriate to do in front of a class. Thanks alot, HotDave (and you will continue to be called this) for helping her out on that one. Look, I know I was asked to Prom by students, and I get that students feel it's easy to talk to me, but if you're bitter or angry, you don't need to make a big scene. I'm sorry if I actually, oh I don't know, listen to my students when they talk to me. Try it it's a great thing.
My third issue is really all about me. I'm human, we all are. Even the super people who seem to have boundless energy and get everything done with no problems are human. We all have to take the occasional MHD (Mental Health Day, people) in order to keep from going postal. No one, and I do mean NO ONE, can expect that everyone will be on their game everyday. Need a sports example? Michael Jordan had a bad game here and there. Not a sports fan? Sometimes musicians play badly at a concert. Something different? Mother Theresa, before she died, admitted that some days she needed divine guidance. If Mother Theresa needed extra guidance here and there, what hope do we mere mortals have of being on the ball everyday. The problem I have, however, is when a person if off their game or having a bad day, and no one is willing to accept it. So when I felt as though I couldn't help some of my students with personal issues, I was dismayed (and slightly hurt) when they reacted badly to it. We all do the best we can, but sometimes we just need a rest. So, to the three students who got mad at me, I'm sorry, but I couldn't spend the time and energy you needed (and deserved) today. I can always talk to you on Tuesday.
The fourth issue is more in my head. The students are learning about the Civil Rights Era. I get that it's Friday, and I get that the end of the year is just days away, but this is one of, if not the MOST, important eras in the history of our country. It is important, whether white, black, yellow, red, whatever, to know how our country changed due to that period of time. We discussed the
Freedom Riders and watched a film about them. When it was done, I asked the glass to tell me about what they learned. They were quiet (which is nothing new). However, when pressed, one student said, "there's no point in learning this, it doesn't affect in any way." Now, the first issue I have is that this student is an African-American. To say that this doesn't affect him is like saying that the Holocaust was a picnic (nope). The second issue is that regardless of race, it is important to understand what shaped the society you live in and how your history can determine your future. It honestly depressed me that he and a few other students felt that learning about this was unnecessary.
Everything else, much like the rest of this post, is superficial. Over the last month, I've had two immediate family members in the hospital for surgery (or procedures), blown a job interview by being loyal, and realized that I don't like a lot of the people I keep company with because they can't see beyond themselves. I mean come on people, your receding hair line is not a reason to call me at one in the morning on a school night. Students on my lawn is one thing, but your fading looks is not.
Sorry for the ranting and venting. I'll try not to do it again.
Have a great weekend and have some fun.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

students on your lawn 'eh?

(might this have to do w/ forks?)

Anonymous said...

students on your lawn.......good fun! speaking of police officers....anyways. question: does the tuesday comment refer to the fact that you will be at school on tuesday, or that you have the deserved time and energy on tuesdays?

Ironic said...

That I'll be in Tuesday (hopefully) rested.

Anonymous said...

fetch