Saturday, May 14, 2005

No Rick James?

I just read that not only is Dave Chappelle in a mental institution in South Africa but now reports say that the Chappelle Show may be no more.
That's depressing. It's a great show (just try not to laugh at an evil Wayne Brady or a black Ku Klux Klan member).
In the modern era of media, it is very rare that a show, film, book, or whatever comes along that is both smart and enjoyable. Usually it's one or the other.
I'm a huge fan of
Arrested Development, Robot Chicken, and (of course) The Simpsons. I've been lucky in that Robot Chicken is on Adult Swim (it won't be canceled), and the Simpsons is an international phenomenon (Groening says he wants to outlast Gunsmoke. That's thirty years). Usually, if I like a show, it's in trouble. Arrested Development may get canceled. Chappelle Show's future is uncertain. Boomtown? Forget it, no one watched it. The Critic? Too smart for its own good. Ever hear of Sledge Hammer? If you haven't, don't worry. Most people missed its two year run. Did you ever read Carter Beats the Devil? Fantastic book. Clive Owen was fantastic in Croupier, but few Americans saw the film.
I could keep going on and on about books no one read, shows no one watched, and films no one appreciated. Instead, I would love to hear about films, shows, or books you love and feel aren't appreciated. Tell
me what you think.
I hope that Dave Chappelle gets better soon and returns to work. With the present state of mind of the world, we need all the laughter we can muster.

No comments: