Monday, January 23, 2006

Mail Mondays (01/23/06)

First semester is almost at an end.
The students, the teachers.... Hell, even the cleaning staff are anticipating the change that comes next week.
I didn't get a great deal of mail this week (only a few letters). That's ok though...SIGH (Oh, I'm just kidding).
Yup.
So. Mail time.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Mr. Leab,
I'm not sure what to say.
Many times over the years someone has made fun of me, but never like this.
Who uses real quotes?
You do know that while you're making fun of my acting, I DO have a building named after me at McGill.
You better be careful who you make fun of in the future. Some of us have GREAT lawyers.
Sincerely,
William Shatner

Dear Mr. Shatner,
Um.
Yeah.
I looked this over for a long time (and I only put in an excerpt. There was a whole part about having quotes out of context, etc, etc).
I was really buying it for a while, but then something struck me:

Why the hell would William Shatner write a stupid schmuck like me?
So I investigated.
It's not William Shatner.
I know who it is, and he's in trouble.
Still, he's right about one thing:
William Shatner does have a building named after him.
It's the William Shatner University Centre.
Nice work, sir.
If it really was him. I'm honored, but I REALLY doubt it.
I'm just not that important
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Leab,
You teach English, so I assume you like to read.
(Most teachers like to read.)
Recommendations for a book to read?
Reading Reader

RR,
I can name a few.
It depends on what you want to read.
Animal Farm by George Orwell is one of my favorite books of all time.
Carter Beats the Devil by Glen David Gold is an awesome fictional story about a real person.
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams is funny...if you open up to it.
On Bullshit by Harry Frankfurt is quite brilliant.
There you go. If you want more, let me know. (See address at bottom.)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That's all you get for tonight folks.

Want to comment, bitch at me, ask for advice (though apparently SOME people think I'm not so good in that department), or just have a question, write me. ironicteachings@hotmail.com
Have a good night.

1 comment:

Ironic said...

I can't yet.