Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Hyperbole: They Name Is High School Student

I teach high school students. Those wonderful "not really kids anymore/ not quite adults yet" creatures that are made of sarcasm, attitude, and a pinch of idiocy. Many of them think that the most minor problems are the end of the world. A recent conversation I heard makes my case.
The following is a real conversation between two high school girls. The conversation took place on May 16th. The names have been changed to protect the innocent.

Girl A: Terri. TERRI! I could just DIE. I mean I could die.
Terri: What's wrong, Linda?
Linda: Oh my god! So no one told me that at prom, I had the same shoes as Tina. I could JUST die.
Terri: That's not so bad. Did I tell you about my date with Matt on Friday? Oh my god. I got home and looked at my nose, and I had a HUGE zit! I did not know what to do. I covered it with makeup, but all night I swear he was staring right at it.
(Editor's note: Matt did not, in fact, notice. He was totally oblivious and stared at her nose, because he was nervous about looking her in the eyes. This was explained to me later when I asked him about his date.)
Linda: Oh my god! (That's the third time it was said in under a minute.) Maybe he didn't notice. Maybe you had food on it or something?
Terri: I don't know. He didn't call me the rest of the weekend. I just don't know what it means.

Now the issue here is that these girls are sixteen or seventeen. They have all of college to meet more people. They have more time in high school to meet more people. One girl got a 30 on her ACT, a 3.8 GPA, and she was convinced that her lack of community service (even though she had other extracurriculars) would keep her from getting into any college. I know we were all like that. Ok, I wasn't, but many of us were. Something must happen when we're in college that makes us grow up. We no longer care about the fact that we're might be wearing the same outfit as someone else and our world view grows.
Of course many people say that real life is like high school, cliques and all (Minnesota may feed that rumor). Maybe these students should be worried about the most minor things. Instead of worrying about the future, maybe I should worry about what the teacher next door thinks about my hair. Maybe I should be more concerned that another faculty member hates me?
In my honest opinion, no. One of the keys of graduating from high school is to learn NOT to use hyperbole or over-exaggerate as much. By the time that you're an "adult", you've learned how to put all that behind you. So put your petty squables away and get over your feelings about wearing the same shoes, because otherwise, you may never really get to experience life.

No comments: