Monday, August 01, 2005

Ramblings for the Morning (8/1/05)

Hockey's back!
Yes! I must admit that I am very happy right now. I've said it before, I love hockey. So now it's back, and, though most of the world really doesn't care, all is bright and shiny again. This leads to my next point...
Satan is cut by the Sabres
I mentioned in a
previous post that a senator in New Jersey wants to change the name of the New Jersey Devils. I said it before, and I'll say it again: I want Miroslav Satan (it's pronounced SHA-tan) to go to the Devils. It would be such a great headline:
"Satan comes to New Jersey" with the by line: "No one surprised"
That way this senator would have EVEN MORE to be upset about.
Growing number of teachers having sex
More and more teachers, particularly women, are getting in trouble for having sex. Even today, according to the
New York Post, a catholic school teacher is in trouble for sleeping with, "four boys."
Now here's the issue. If you're a girl and you sleep with your teacher, you're branded a slut, whore, whatever. However, if you're a guy and you sleep with your teacher, you're considered a hero, or god among men (if the teacher is a woman. If it's a guy...that's another story all together. Come on, you remember what high school kids are like). The four boys may be in trouble with their parents (and possibly God depending on their strength of faith), but among their peers they will be envied. It's totally screwed up. I believe in the last six months, I have read about at least 15 teachers (ten women, five men) who have been arrested or in trouble for having a student who's "hot for teacher." It's unfortunate. And yet, as several of my students will point out, I had a student who made a very improper proposal to me. Did I accept? No. Do I know what she was thinking? No. We had only spoken to each other a few times. Honestly, I wasn't fully aware that she was in my class until a few days before the end of school. It's too bad.
Sticking with the education theme, we'll end with this...
Students rate their teachers
I was unaware of this
website. Apparently, students out there can decide how cool (or not) their teachers are as well as leave comments. Most of the people I work with got good ratings. That's nice to see. I have no ratings, which is also nice to see. I don't mind criticism. Hell, I work with teenagers, so I'm very used to it. On the first day of summer school, the first thing one student told me was that if I was going to be her teacher, I had to wear better shoes. Was she planning at staring at my feet the whole time? I don't know.
So, if you have a teacher out there that you love, or hate, or whatever, go on over to the website and give them a rating. It's your chance to tell that teacher what you think of them. If, however, you're one of my students, stay away from my name. I have no rating, and want to keep it that way.

3 comments:

Voix said...

Wow. One student wrote, "Mean teacher, hates life" about me. Hmmm. Go figure.

Ironic said...

Wow, you life-hater. I'm so shocked. Here I thought I knew you...

Ironic said...

Depends on what student it is.
If it was my student stalker, it would be:
"Mr. Leab is soooo great."
If it was a typical student, it would be:
"Mr. Leab is a little odd. He understands his students, and he understands the materials, but he can be quite harsh on us when crossed."
If it was a student that didn't like me, it would be:
"He's a dork. He makes strange noises, references pop culture at odd times, and acts like a kid when he gets excited about Shakespeare (Shakespeare?!)"
That sounds about right.