Monday, June 13, 2005

Is It Hot in Here?

All right, I am not an environmentalist. I do believe in taking care of the Earth, but I don't go as far as to grow plants that I will specifically use as toilet paper (there are those that do). However, I have said in the past that I believe that there is global warming. Many people argue that it doesn't exist. However, this morning USA Today says the debate is OVER (sorry, too much Iron Chef at two in the morning). That's right, the time for arguing is done, and it is time to take action.
So here's my problem: people have been saying for years there is a problem and big businesses and government have said, "no conclusive proof, you wackos!" However, now that religious groups and a few key businesses like
GE (General Electric) say there's a climate change, everyone is now saying we have to do something. Is that really how we're going to deal with problems for the rest of our time here on Earth? Unless a large corporation or a religious (in this case Christian) posse thinks it's a problem, we'll just ignore it? Can we get a corporation to rally against poverty?
Again, I am not a "tree-hugger", but even I thought there was global warming. When I mentioned it to some colleagues, I was laughed at. One of them called me "Chicken Little" (a popular term for people who question the norm), and still another told me that (and I quote), "God would never let something like that happen." How do you respond to that? Back to the point....
Our administration still is very light handed on the environment. Remember, they thought that the way to stop forest fires would be to level the forests. I'm simplifying their argument a little, but the basis was that with less trees, there would be less fire. Does that mean I can justify a killing spree and say less people means less crime? Hmm, too bad
Johnnie Cochran is dead. He could probably come up with some sort of catchy rhyme that would get me off the hook.
So, remember this when, in about five year, the planet is ten degrees warmer: right now many people do not believe that global warming is happening. Those people need to see what everyone else sees: the slow destruction of our home. Until we populate the moon, or Mars, or whatever, we're stuck here. Let's try not to screw it up too much more.

No comments: