Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Thoughts for the Evening of 6/15/05

Once again, it's time to rattle around my brain to see what's troubling me. Warning: Coarse Language may be used. You've been warned.
Homosexuals are the new 2nd class citizen.
Move over African-Americans and get out of the way Hispanics, Homosexuals are the new 2nd class citizens in the U.S. Why? Well, basically it's no longer ok to pick on ethnicity, so now we hit sexual orientation.
1. Homosexuals aren't allowed to marry. This is the most screwed up thinking. People get upset because they believe that gay people are promiscuous. Fine, but then if that same person tries to marry, they are (and I quote a fellow student in my Master's class), "offending and upsetting God." Wow! Is that all it takes? Forget rape boys, just tell your local priest/minister/ guru that you're marrying Steve. That'll be enough to anger God apparently. Honestly, in my opinion, it's crap. We hear a whole bunch about God's love of humanity. How is not allowing two people to share their love in front of God and witnesses keeping with that philosophy?
2. Homosexuals are the new "Go to" joke. Remember how it used to be a Rabbi, a Priest, and fill in the ethnicity walk into a bar? Well, now it's homosexuals. I will share with you a joke that a student told me on Monday. I warn you (which means you can't sue me or get upset at me) that it is, unfortunately, very narrow minded:
An Italian, a Jew, and a Homosexual all die and go to Heaven. (Author's note: See, Homosexuals do get to go to heaven. Take that Jerry Falwell!) God agrees to send them back if they will agree not to do the thing that the love the most. Bam, their back. Immediately, the Italian sees an Italian restaurant. Well, Italians love to eat more than anything. So he goes in, with the others in tow, and orders a pizza, as he is paying, he takes a bite, and poof, he disappears. The money falls to the floor. Well, a Jew's favorite thing is to take other people's money. So he bends over to grab the coins, and just before he reaches them, the Homosexual disappears...
That's a terrible joke. Unfortunately, it's all the rage now to make fun of gay people. Hell, coaches still use it when motivating teams.
and finally, 3. Homosexuals are the new people to blame.
I hear all the time about how the problems in this culture can be blamed on Homosexuals. Huh? Really? Homosexuals created poverty? Homosexuals planted the Weapons of Mass Destruction? I don't remember hearing about that. Is that because the Homosexuals control the media? Oh no! Maybe I've discovered a new conspiracy theory. That's right it's really the
Queer Eye for the Straight Guy group that's at the head of the problems in this country. Hell, Jerry Falwell said it was the Jews and Homosexuals fault that 9/11 happened.
Look why do we always have to find a specific group to turn on? We have done it this way since this country was founded. At least in the beginning, it was white on white (Americans and British). Then we went after all the non-white people. Native Americans, Africans and African-Americans, Hispanics. Is it really that because there's no more ethnicities to go after that we now turn our attentions to sexual preferences? Come on, folks, we're better than this.
Now, that being said, there is a part II to this thought
Homosexuals should not lash out at Heterosexuals for no reason.
I have acquaintances and friends (and even stalkers) who are Homosexual. I don't think of them as Homosexual. It's just not the first thing that springs into the mind. Today, while working out at the gym, I was called, "a Breeder" and was called a, "closed-minded bigot." Why? Well I'll tell you.
You see, I usually spend about 45 minutes on an elliptical machine. At the gym I go to, there are about fifteen of them in a row, and usually four or five are open. After stretching, I go to the machine and do my forty-five minute cardio. I love it. It's very freeing and allows me to burn off excess energy. Today, however, it became the center of my problem. I try to grab one of the machines that has a heart monitor so that I can make sure I'm hitting my target heart rate (I know, I'm a nerd). So, I got on the machine of my choosing and started. After five minutes (I checked the timer), a large woman came over to me and told me to, "get the hell off, "her machine. Now, I always check and ask people around if anyone is using that particular machine. Everyone said no. However, the story told to me by this woman was that she HAD been using the machine and left fifteen minutes earlier to use the restroom, then she was going to return to it. There was NO WAY anyone could know this. I apologized, but I said that there were three others open and she could use them. This is where I made my mistake. The following is the conversation between myself and the woman who will be known as Lynx Fan, because she was completely decked out in
Minnesota Lynx gear:
Me: (still working out) I'm sorry, but there are three other machines open, and you left no markers to indicate you were here.
Lynx Fan: That's bullshit. Everyone here saw that I was on this machine.
Me: Yes, you WERE on the machine, but you left fifteen minutes ago. You can't hold on to a machine for that long. That's not fair to everyone else.
LF: Well, I want this machine. Give it to me!
Me: No, maam. There are three more, now four, open and two of them have heart monitors. What wrong with those?
LF: This is MY machine. I always use this machine at this time of day. Give me my fucking machine!
Me: No.
LF: Is this because you saw me with my girl? Huh? Do you not like homosexuals?
Me: I'm sorry, what?
LF: You heard me Breeder. I'm so sick of your kind. If you have a problem with who I want to sleep with, don't use it against me.
Me: Huh? (at this point, I stop working out.) Did I say something to make you believe that I don't like homosexuals? Did I say a single thing? What the hell, lady? How do you know I'm not gay, and this (pointing to my wedding ring) isn't from my lover?
LF: Because you won't give me my machine. You're a closed-minded bigot. You hate homosexuals, and this is how you stand up to them.
Me: Lady, pardon my language, but you're a fucking fruit loop. I don't care if you like women, or horses, or your vacuum. There was nothing to say you were here. Get over it. Get a new perspective, and try a new machine. I'm not leaving. (And so I return to working out).
After ten minutes, she returns with another woman. This one is named Tracy, and she works at the club.
Tracy: Sir, I think you need to come with me.
Me: Why?
LF: Stupid bastard. I hate bigots.
Tracy: This woman says that you took her machine, called her names, and was acting in an unethical manner. Did you tell this woman that you took her machine, because she was a homosexual?
Me: No, maam, I did not. You can ask the woman who is working out on my left. This woman came over to me, told me that this was her machine when there was nothing marking it, and then proceeded to berate me when I wouldn't get off. She even called me a breeder. That is offensive.
LF: I never said that. Besides, he told me that he doesn't like homosexuals. He said that they would all burn in Hell.
Tracy: Sir, did you say that?
Me: No.
LF: You liar. You know you said it.
Tracy: Sir, I see her here almost every night. I haven't really seen you before right now. I know LF (not putting in her real name), and she's a good person. I believe her when she says you have a problem with homosexuals. I think you need to leave for the night, sir.
Now, I had no way to fight back. Part of the problem is that I am multiculturalism's worst enemy: a white man. I didn't want to fight with the attendant, because it would get me in serious trouble. However, it's not fair that a person can make claims about me that aren't true and automatically I'm guilty. I have no issues with homosexuality. I couldn't care less if two men or two women want to be together. That's their right, and that's their business, not mine. So it pisses me off when a person exploits a situation using tactics like LF did. That's wrong and it's unfair. What's next? Am I going to go in for an interview and not get the job, because a previous applicant said I was a bigot (which a version of this actually happened to me)?
Look, if calling someone a "fag" is iappropriate, then I think "breeder" should be too.
I really don't know why LF picked on me. Maybe she's not exactly right in the head. Maybe she got burned by a mate. Maybe she just had a bad day and wanted to make someone else's day bad as well. I can't tell you. I just think that the avenue has to go both ways. If you want people to treat you right, you have to treat them right. Yeah, I know it's like the Golden Rule, I get that. It just pisses me off when a group complains about how everyone treats them badly, and they get no rights, and then they turn around, and they treat people badly. It's crap, and it's angering.
Ah, now I'm just too worked up to think about anything else. I guess I'll just have to talk about Emma and the gang another time.

No comments: